Model and create characters while learning professional animation techniques from the pros, bringing your ideas to life with an animated film. Learn how to create 3D character animations with Maya. Bring characters to life by learning professional techniques to make animation fun and easy. Develop an understanding of the storytelling and character animation process with the industry-standard 3D software, Autodesk Maya. Students will learn how to bring characters to life, using lighting, settings, and camera angles. We’ll teach you a workflow that will take pre-rigged models and animate them in an original short sequence that tells a story. Building on existing knowledge of the basics of 3D modeling, students will take their design skills from modeling into animation just like the pros. By the end of the week, students will have an understanding of keyframing, facial expressions, character poses, object modeling and the pre-production process.
By the end of this course:
Students will be able to…
- use Maya as a tool for animation
- develop Keyframes and interpolations in Maya’s graph editor
- develop digital puppets known as character rigs
- explain the process of planning for and executing an animation
Students will create…
- several animations of a bouncing ball to display mastery of keyframes, weight, and timing
- images of characters in expressive poses, displaying subtle control of the complex character rigs
- an animated shot using professional-level character rigs
- a demo reel showcasing their work
This course forms part of Digital Media Academy’s Tech Accelerator program, our year-round, online, sequential learning journey for 13-18-year-olds. Tech Accelerators fuse expert instruction with real-world partnerships to get you university- and industry-ready. Over 8 Levels, you’ll curate a portfolio of Real-world Client Briefs from our leading tech and creative partners, attend Industry Masterclasses, get one-to-one Pro Mentor support and build a Career Network. Tech Accelerators: Fuel your 21st-century career.
- Laptop or desktop computer running Windows or macOS that meets the minimum specifications of the hardware and software listed below.
- Built-in or external microphone
- Built-in or external speakers or headphones
- Google Chrome browser
- Additional computer screen/monitor (recommended)
- Medium-sized sketchbook
- Pencils and pens
Join us on the beautiful campus of The University of British Columbia for an immersive on-campus learning experience. Outside of your course-specific lesson times, you will have the opportunity to tour the campus and gain a better understanding of life after high school.