Explore the art of digital filmmaking by shooting and editing your own unique video. Learn to write a script, operate a camera using manual functions and make edits to your film. Using the latest equipment, techniques, and software students will learn the ins and outs of video production and make films while using the editing suite trusted by the professionals: Adobe Premiere and Creative Cloud. The course begins with basic principles of short narrative filmmaking: screenplay structure, camera functionality, camera operation, and role descriptions. Students then learn how to work as a crew, how to storyboard, how to direct, and how to edit. Students will produce two to three short film projects from start to finish, learning from each experience as they share, reflect and receive constructive feedback.
By the end of this course:
Students will be able to…
- explain storyboarding and scene blocking
- explain how to effectively use sound and music in a film
- use basic filmmaking language and story structure
- demonstrate cinematography using DSLR cameras
- demonstrate their post-production editing skill with Adobe Premiere
Students will create…
- two to three short film projects
This course is one of our flagship Tech Camp experiences, infused with hands-on, project-based learning, designed to equip students with 21st-century technology skills. Students will engage in real-world problem solving and collaborate with fellow students to create solutions to some of the world’s biggest problems.
- Laptop or desktop computer running Windows or macOS that meets the minimum specifications of the hardware and software listed below.
- Built-in or external microphone
- Built-in or external speakers or headphones
- Google Chrome browser
- Additional computer screen/monitor (recommended)
- DSLR Camera (or mobile phone/tablet) for photo capture and a method for downloading footage from your camera onto your computer.
- Canon Rebel T7i DSLR camera kit (optional)
- Camera tripod (optional)
- SD card with minimum 64GB and 90mb/s or higher read/write speed (optional)
- Audio kit (microphone, cables, extension pole) compatible with camera (optional)
- Green screen (optional) Reflector (optional)
N.B. Download and install Adobe software for free. You will receive a complimentary Adobe Creative Cloud license from Digital Media Academy to activate the software for the duration of the course.
Join us on the beautiful campus of The University of British Columbia for an immersive on-campus learning experience. Outside of your course-specific lesson times, you will have the opportunity to tour the campus and gain a better understanding of life after high school.