Sarah Murley-Hauser, Director & Owner
Welcome to the Willowdale School of Music community! Founded in 2012, Willowdale School of Music has grown from being just myself driving around to student’s houses as the Richmond Hill Suzuki Studio, to an ever expanding multi-instrument music school in the heart of North York.
Regardless of lesson location, WSM’s “Why” has always been the same: The best music lessons teach children more than just how to play their musical instrument, they give children the skills and tools to change the world for the better. Put very simply, when we give children music lessons, we are making the world a better place for everyone.
When I was 3 years old, I started asking for violin lessons, and I kept asking until I was 6 years old and my parents gave in. I know that when I started violin lessons, I started practicing the skills necessary to become a better human being. As I learned how to play the violin, I learned:⠀
- the process of working hard, failing then succeeding over and over again⠀
- learning how to play and work with other people in a group⠀
- how to think critically and uniquely⠀
- how to look at a problem and figure out how to achieve success⠀
- that hard work isn't something negative⠀
- how to create goals and manage failure⠀
- that if I put my mind to it, success is inevitable for me⠀
- how to be present in the moment⠀
- how to take printed notes on a page and breathe life and colour into them⠀
- trust myself and the process that I put effort into⠀
As I become more and more invested in making the world a better place, all these skills I gained through learning the violin come in hand. ⠀
To be someone who wants to change the world, you need to:⠀
- think big picture⠀
- have empathy towards other people who might not think or feel the same as you⠀
- be present
- think outside the box and creatively⠀
- work effectively with other people⠀
And finally, when you are working toward making the world a better place, you will fail, and so you need to be resilient in failure, get back up again and try again. Music taught me that. ⠀
So I started WSM, because I believe to the depths of my being that music makes me a better person, thus I am responsible to share that with others and give the next generation the tools they need to continue the work left to do on to make the world a better place.⠀
No matter what instrument, how young or old, or how much you know about music already, there is a spot for you at Willowdale School of Music.
I can’t wait to meet you at Willowdale School of Music!
Sarah Murley-Hauser | Director of Willowdale School of Music
Book a free trial lesson to get started: https://www.willowdaleschoolofmusic.com/trials
Contact us for more information: [email protected]