What is it about? - An in-depth book reading program that connects students with the stories.
Who is it for? - Students who love to read and watch movies.
Why do we offer it? -To practice reading comprehension and critical thinking skills.
How is it taught? - In class: reading together, discussions, presentations, and comparison between the book to the movie; Homework: vocabulary and reading comprehension.
ABOUT THE BOOK - Freak the Mighty
Author: Rodman Phil brick Lexile Rating: W -930L
Kevin is brilliant, but his body is so crippled by birth defects that he has to wear braces on his legs. Max is huge and powerful, but he has been so scarred by life that he feels dumb and worthless. Independently, each boy seems like half a person, but when they meet the summer before eighth grade starts, they join together, becoming inseparable friends as Freak the Mighty.
1. Identify characteristics & character development
2. Identify text to media connections
3. Book & Movie comparison
1. Reading comprehension and analysis
2. Theme exploration: Response to literature
3. Re-write the end of the story with YOU as an additional character