What is it about? - An in-depth book reading program that connects students with the stories.
Who is it for? - Students who love to read and watch movies.
Why do we offer it? -To practice reading comprehension and critical thinking skills.
How is it taught? - In class: reading together, discussions, presentations, and comparison between the book to the movie; Homework: vocabulary and reading comprehension.
ABOUT THE BOOK - Bridge to Terabithia
Author: Katherine Paterson Lexile Rating: T - 810L
This book takes students on a fun adventure of a world created by two fifth graders, Jess Aarons and Leslie Burke. They create their own imaginary land called Terabithia. Terabithia is the place they escape to in order to forget all their problems. Through their adventure, we learn about the importance of friendship and trust.
1. Identify characteristics & character development
2. Identify text to media connections
3. Book & Movie comparison
1. Reading comprehension and analysis
2. Theme exploration: Response to literature
3. Re-write the end of the story with YOU as an additional character