Develop and improve your graphic design skills while mastering professional design tools, such as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. Create original projects for your professional portfolio. Students will start out learning the fundamentals of graphic design, using the Adobe Creative Suite and project-based learning. They will learn the design process, colour theory, typography, and how to recreate professional media and advertisements. At the end of the course, students will have a portfolio of designs and develop a final project piece that allows them to focus on their passion and emulates a real-world client.
By the end of this course:
Students will be able to…
- articulate the core principles of graphic design and industry vocabulary
- explain the ways that graphic design defines the visual world around us
- use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator to achieve their vision
- identify differences between Photoshop and Illustrator
- incorporate resources from the web into their designs
Students will create…
- a portfolio that simulates real-world client work and incorporates personal style
- original compositions incorporating typography, color theory, and composition
- recreations of professional advertisements
- digital illustrations
This course is one of our flagship Tech Camp experiences, infused with hands-on, project-based learning, designed to equip students with 21st-century technology skills. Students will engage in real-world problem solving and collaborate with fellow students to create solutions to some of the world’s biggest problems.
- Laptop or desktop computer running Windows or macOS that meets the minimum specifications of the hardware and software listed below.
- Built-in or external microphone
- Built-in or external speakers or headphones
- Google Chrome browser
- Additional computer screen/monitor (recommended)
- Digital tablet and pen (recommended: Wacom Intuos)
N.B. Download and install Adobe software for free. You will receive a complimentary Adobe Creative Cloud license from Digital Media Academy to activate the software for the duration of the course.
- Medium-sized sketchbook
- Pencils and pens
Join us on the beautiful campus of The University of British Columbia for an immersive on-campus learning experience. Outside of your course-specific lesson times, you will have the opportunity to tour the campus and gain a better understanding of life after high school.