Professional shooting techniques combined with hands-on learning show you how to use your DSLR camera to take world-class photographs. Master your DSLR camera as you learn professional workflows and manual camera controls like aperature, shutter speed, and ISO speed settings. Use Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop to edit your photos before creating a professional portfolio. Every image we see in media today is created using digital photography and image editing software. Whether students are considering a graphic design career or curious about how it all works this course will give them a deep dive into the fundamentals. Students will learn how to create stunning digital photography and enhance imagery in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. Students will build up their digital photography techniques first, then transition to developing their software and editing skills. By the end of the course, students will have a portfolio of professionally shot and edited photographs, and an understanding of how the photography industry works.
By the end of this course:
Students will be able to…
- explain the elements of a good composition
- explain the effect of aperture, shutter speed, and ISO changes
- troubleshoot and fix a “bad photo”
- demonstrate photo manipulation techniques
- organize and improve photos in post-production
Students will create…
- portraits, landscapes, closeups, and product shots
- the purpose and value of an artist statement
- a fast and efficient way to batch edit many photos at once
- a series of images that tells a story
- how to curate an online portfolio of their work
This course is one of our flagship Tech Camp experiences, infused with hands-on, project-based learning, designed to equip students with 21st-century technology skills. Students will engage in real-world problem solving and collaborate with fellow students to create solutions to some of the world’s biggest problems.
- Laptop or desktop computer running Windows or macOS that meets the minimum specifications of the hardware and software listed below.
- Built-in or external microphone
- Built-in or external speakers or headphones
- Google Chrome browser
- Additional computer screen/monitor (recommended)
- DSLR Camera (or mobile phone/tablet) for photo capture and a method for downloading footage from your camera onto your computer.
- Canon Rebel T7i DSLR camera kit (optional)
- Camera tripod (optional)
- SD card with minimum 64GB and 90mb/s or higher read/write speed (optional)
N.B. Download and install Adobe software for free. You will receive a complimentary Adobe Creative Cloud license from Digital Media Academy to activate the software for the duration of the course.
Join us on the beautiful campus of The University of British Columbia for an immersive on-campus learning experience. Outside of your course-specific lesson times, you will have the opportunity to tour the campus and gain a better understanding of life after high school.