This course provides an introduction to game design using an awesome drag-and-drop building game called Roblox! We’ll start by introducing students to this sandbox world and get them set up with their own accounts, and over the course of the week we’ll guide them through the development and creation of their own game. This is a one-week, group project based course. Students will work in groups of three or four on a small platformer using assets from Roblox’s built-in editor.
By the end of this course:
Students will be able to…
- describe the basics of good game design
- manipulate objects in Roblox
- use the basics of lighting, color and UI
- explain the basics of scripting
- Monetize and Advertise their game
- describe Color Theory for function and narrative
- work in teams to create Alphas, Betas and organize successful playtests
Students will create…
- a single-player platformer game
- a single-player horror genre game
- a final project that they have designed with their friends
This course is one of our flagship Tech Camp experiences, infused with hands-on, project-based learning, designed to equip students with 21st-century technology skills. Students will engage in real-world problem solving and collaborate with fellow students to create solutions to some of the world’s biggest problems.
- Laptop or desktop computer running Windows or macOS that meets the minimum specifications of the hardware and software listed below.
- Built-in or external microphone
- Built-in or external speakers or headphones
- Google Chrome browser
- Additional computer screen/monitor (recommended)
Join us on the beautiful campus of The University of British Columbia for an immersive on-campus learning experience. Outside of your course-specific lesson times, you will have the opportunity to tour the campus and gain a better understanding of life after high school.