Discover how animators at Pixar, Cartoon Network, and Disney produce animated cartoons and movies. Create drawings and bring them to life using production techniques such as timelines and keyframes and using Toon Boom Harmony, the same software used by industry pros. Create drawings and bring them to life, using production techniques such as timelines and keyframes in Toon Boom Harmony™ – the same software used to create Spongebob and many more popular cartoons. Work as part of a team and make friends who share your interests as you explore other animation techniques like claymation and “humanimation”. At the end of the course, you take home a stop-motion-animated short film to share with family and friends.
By the end of this course:
Students will be able to…
- demonstrate animation skills and the fundamentals of storytelling
- explain how to create “claymation” and “humanimation”
- hone their cartoon drawing skills
- develop a cartoon and create a character
- use Toon Boom Harmony, the professional animation software
Students will create…
- digital illustrations and simple drawings
- storyboards and project plans for their animation projects
- 2D animated short films using keyframes and simple drawings
- a stop-motion animated film using clay and props
- a final animation reel that shows off their work as well as their final project
This course is one of our flagship Tech Camp experiences, infused with hands-on, project-based learning, designed to equip students with 21st-century technology skills. Students will engage in real-world problem solving and collaborate with fellow students to create solutions to some of the world’s biggest problems.
- Laptop or desktop computer running Windows or macOS that meets the minimum specifications of the hardware and software listed below.
- Built-in or external microphone
- Built-in or external speakers or headphones
- Google Chrome browser
- Additional computer screen/monitor (recommended)
- Digital tablet and pen (recommended: Wacom Intuos)
N.B. Download and install Adobe software for free. You will receive a complimentary Adobe Creative Cloud license from Digital Media Academy to activate the software for the duration of the course.
Join us on the beautiful campus of The University of British Columbia for an immersive on-campus learning experience. Outside of your course-specific lesson times, you will have the opportunity to tour the campus and gain a better understanding of life after high school.