Learn the essentials of game design by harnessing the power of Unity to master creating 2D or 3D environments and levels. Use C# and the Unity Game Engine to design and code your own 2D and 3D games. Get introduced to basic game design concepts, including user experience design and beta testing. At Digital Media Academy, our goal is to empower students to become creators of digital media rather than just consumers. Everyone loves a good game and creating those games is more exciting than ever for our students. Unity is the primary framework used to develop most of the video games people play today. At the beginning of the week, students will practice using the Unity editor to create levels and environments, program mechanics in C# and create a few guided projects. At the end of the week, students will work together or independently to create their own game with assets and mechanics of their choice.
By the end of this course:
Students will be able to…
- understand the power of programming
- create clear, readable and efficient code
- troubleshoot errors and solve logical problems
- plan a game
- understand the basics of level design, storytelling and user empathy
Students will create…
- a 3D platformer game
- a 2D find-the-object game
- one independent project
- a Game Design Document to pitch and organize their ideas
This course is one of our flagship Tech Camp experiences, infused with hands-on, project-based learning, designed to equip students with 21st-century technology skills. Students will engage in real-world problem solving and collaborate with fellow students to create solutions to some of the world’s biggest problems.
- Laptop or desktop computer running Windows or macOS that meets the minimum specifications of the hardware and software listed below.
- Built-in or external microphone
- Built-in or external speakers or headphones
- Google Chrome browser
- Additional computer screen/monitor (recommended)
N.B. Download and install Adobe software for free. You will receive a complimentary Adobe Creative Cloud license from Digital Media Academy to activate the software for the duration of the course.
Join us on the beautiful campus of The University of British Columbia for an immersive on-campus learning experience. Outside of your course-specific lesson times, you will have the opportunity to tour the campus and gain a better understanding of life after high school.