This course provides students with the opportunity to create their very own Minecraft Mods using Java programming. Students will be creating custom server side mods using Code Kingdoms, a Java coding framework designed specifically to teach Foundations to code in Minecraft. Students will have the opportunity to follow along with some great tutorials, build mods, deploy them to a server, and test them. Code Kingdoms allows students to interchangeably program with a block interface, or completely in pure Java, so the course can be fun and rewarding for all levels of coding experience!
By the end of this course:
Students will be able to…
- program concepts with Java
- explain project management and flow
- implement a game design process
- understand playtesting, events, and iteration
Students will create…
- event-based mods for Minecraft
- a game with adventure narrative balanced additions to an existing game
This course is one of our flagship Tech Camp experiences, infused with hands-on, project-based learning, designed to equip students with 21st-century technology skills. Students will engage in real-world problem solving and collaborate with fellow students to create solutions to some of the world’s biggest problems.
- Laptop or desktop computer running Windows or macOS that meets the minimum specifications of the hardware and software listed below.
- Built-in or external microphone
- Built-in or external speakers or headphones
- Google Chrome browser
- Additional computer screen/monitor (recommended)
Minecraft (Java Edition)
Join us on the beautiful campus of The University of British Columbia for an immersive on-campus learning experience. Outside of your course-specific lesson times, you will have the opportunity to tour the campus and gain a better understanding of life after high school.