This course provides an introduction to understanding game design as a team-driven process that has many dynamic elements and nuanced goals by making levels in Fortnite Creative. We’ll be taking the students through the process of creating and revising design documents, working in teams while collaborating with others, and ultimately creating a game that they can share with their friends or online!
In addition, we’ll be showing them the basics of the Unreal Engine, which Fortnite runs on. They will get the chance to cut their teeth on its many features, both to see what a game engine looks like and to gain appreciation for what’s going on behind the scenes with their favourite game.
By the end of this course:
Students will be able to…
- describe why and how games are made
- work as a group toward specific game goals
- make a level in Fortnite Creative
- use basic functionality of the Unreal Engine
Students will create…
- a living, high quality design document
- a fully playable and shareable level in Fortnite Creative
- a basic environment built from scratch in Unreal
This course is one of our flagship Tech Camp experiences, infused with hands-on, project-based learning, designed to equip students with 21st-century technology skills. Students will engage in real-world problem solving and collaborate with fellow students to create solutions to some of the world’s biggest problems.
- Laptop or desktop computer running Windows or macOS that meets the minimum specifications of the hardware and software listed below.
- Built-in or external microphone
- Built-in or external speakers or headphones
- Google Chrome browser
- Additional computer screen/monitor (recommended)
- Post-it Wall Pad
Join us on the beautiful campus of The University of British Columbia for an immersive on-campus learning experience. Outside of your course-specific lesson times, you will have the opportunity to tour the campus and gain a better understanding of life after high school.