This course offers a great introduction to the principles of game design including interactive storytelling, character creation, and publishing. Our hands-on, design-thinking approach encourages students to unleash their inner designer as well as work collaboratively with other students as they create mobile video games that can be uploaded onto an iPhone or iPad. Showcase your personality by creating a game that’s as unique as yourself. Learn how to bring your ideas and stories to life. Discover the immersive world of game development and learn key game design principles including game theory, character creation, digital storytelling, and publishing. You’ll build and customize game elements using Tiled and Piskel, and practice problem-solving. You’ll design creative solutions in a supportive community of burgeoning designers. At the end of the week, you can take your creation home to share with friends and family.
By the end of this course:
Students will be able to…
- work with the principles of good game design
- build a solid foundation of programming principles
- fix and test their own projects
- make and find great game assets
Students will create…
- two different 2D games
- a game design document to organize their goals
- a customized game world
- game assets using Tiled and Piskel
This course is one of our flagship Tech Camp experiences, infused with hands-on, project-based learning, designed to equip students with 21st-century technology skills. Students will engage in real-world problem solving and collaborate with fellow students to create solutions to some of the world’s biggest problems.
- Laptop or desktop computer running Windows or macOS that meets the minimum specifications of the hardware and software listed below.
- Built-in or external microphone
- Built-in or external speakers or headphones
- Google Chrome browser
- Additional computer screen/monitor (recommended)
Join us on the beautiful campus of The University of British Columbia for an immersive on-campus learning experience. Outside of your course-specific lesson times, you will have the opportunity to tour the campus and gain a better understanding of life after high school.