This program is a great way to introduce campers to the love of canoe tripping. Of the many experiences campers remember, among their fondest is the overnight canoe trip. Camping under a canopy of stars, paddling on the water and cooking over an open fire are all experiences that forge life-long memories. Our Junior Tripping program gives younger campers an opportunity to learn the skills associated with canoe tripping; one of the most magical ways to access the Canadian wilderness.
In this week long experience, campers will:
• Participate in a day of planning meals, practicing canoeing skills and preparing for the 4-day canoe trip.
• Participate in a 4-day/3-night canoe trip in the Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park
• Learn how to portage, campfire cookery, camp set up and take down, and wilderness survival
• Have a chance to learn about nature through games and activities while out in the beautiful scenery of the park
• Participate in the end of session Banquet and candle lighting
Among some of the wonderful learning opportunities of a canoe trip are:
• Building confidence and self-esteem
• Creating a sense of independence and self-reliance
• Developing teamwork skills
• Exposure to the beauty, solitude and grandeur of nature
• Building appreciation for wilderness by learning about the environment
• Perhaps creating a lifelong passion for camping and canoe tripping
All the tripping staff are qualified with NLS Lifeguard certification. They have extensive tripping experience and have partaken in a 4-day Wilderness Advanced First Aid course. The trips are equipped with cell phones (the Kawartha Highlands has a reliable cell phone network) and an extensive first aid kit to ensure safety while on trip.
Please Note that the Boys & Girls Canoe Trips run concurrently and travel the same route together during the day but will camp on separate campsites overnight.
All rates are in Canadian dollars, and are subject to 13% HSTRequest information