When choosing a camp for a child with Autism, you have two options:
1. A 'traditional' camp that accepts all children. Your child would be integrated with an extra support worker.
2. A 'special needs' camp where all the children have a unique ability, Autism or other.
There are a number of day camps in the Toronto Area that cater to both. Here are some:
Special Needs Focused
- New Strides Day Camp
- Big Wave
- Harbourfront Centre Camps
- Camp Robin Hood
- Glenbrook Day Camp
- Seneca College King Day Camp
Attending the Camp Expo
will allow you to meet with the camp directors and staff, and they can give you a better idea of what support systems are in place. Depending on the age of your child, you may wish to consider an overnight program. They are very safe and you'll be amazed at what your child can accomplish.
BEST WAY TO FIND YOUR PERFECT CAMP
For most accurate results, follow the below steps to find your perfect camp. Note that by keeping criteria open, you can
1. Click on Camp Search
here or in the navigation bar
2. Scroll down to the 'Advanced Search' box
3. Check off "Autism/Pervasive Development delay" box
4. Click the "Find a camp" box
This will return a list and map view of camps that offer Autism support. You can zoom into the map to see what's local to your area, or browse the list if you're willing to travel a little further away.